Tuesday, June 26, 2007

More Corinth Memories

My gut feeling is that some of you folks that still live in Corinth probably take it for granted. Sure, there are some advantages to living in a bigger city, but at the same time, there are disadvantages. Anyway, I caught myself thinking about more things that I love(d) about Corinth, so I just thought I'd share. It could be that some of these are so old that they don't apply to Corinth any longer. Either way, if you also remember some of these and you do indeed agree that they are special, then perhaps this post did its job...

1. The old airplanes at the city park - as a kid, nothing was more fun and adventurous than climb onto and into those old planes.
2. The high-dive at the YMCA - jumping off it was one thing, but diving was another. I never learned how to do a flip, so I sure as hell didn't try one from the high-dive. I can also remember running and jumping off and trying to touch some insulation that was hanging from the rafters above the pool.
3. Judy Whitehurst's tree house - given she was my neighbor, I spent a lot of time in that damn thing. It was perfect for hiding from kids in the neighborhood and then starting a dirt clod war from up there.
4. The twin lakes in North Hills - these were in front of Merrell's house, and lots of kids in the neighborhood spent many summer fishing in them. When it snowed in the Winter, you could sled down Merrell's driveway and continue down to the lake. If you were me, you pretended like you actually went INTO the lake, and then you had Judy and Cynthia pull you on the sled all the way to Cynthia's house to prevent you from getting "frost bite."
5. Phillips Creek - this creek ran the length of Snake Road, and for many years, it was a sure bet you'd find me, Glenn, or John Stanford in that creek. Now Bobby Burns lives right next to it!
6. Webster Street Bridge - as a kid, there was no better bridge in town than this. Whether it was sledding down it in the Winter or watching Weston jump from it onto a moving train, this bridge had it all!
7. CHS Football Games - sure, playing in them was fun...but nothing beat going to them as a kid. Sure, we loved to watch "some" of the game...we were really there to wad up the paper cups and run around throwing them at each other at the end of the stadium. And while I'm on the subject, nothing could beat the music the band played as the team ran out on the field!!
8. The Big Tree on the East Corinth Playground - remember that huge tree that had fallen and I guess the school just made it part of the playground? That thing was so much fun to climb on!!
9. The Corinth Christmas Parade - how much fun was that?! As a kid, watching all the floats...back when the companies from the industrial park would compete for the best float? Man, they had some really cool ones. And Santa was always the last float...and threw out candy...awesome!!
10. "The Strip" - need I say more??

I'm sure I could think of a million more, but I just thought I'd get it started...

Your thoughts?

3 comments:

Jeannie Teuber said...

it's not that they don't apply any longer but at our ages, those things aren't that exciting. i don't think i take corinth's small town friendliness for granted, but the big city with places to go, things to do, new people (and ones that don't know all your business and don't care) does seem appealing as well.

Kim ( Ivy) Bradley said...

Friday night football games are still great...As I sit watching the football game and Morgan cheering I also have a young one that likes to run around instead of sitting with her parents to watch the game...Walking up to the stadium and smelling the hamburgers cooking brings back many memories

Stacey Carson said...

I also enjoyed playing on the City Park planes. They are no longer there. The old playground has been re-done. It was a community wide project several years ago and a new pavilion is just being finished. It really is nice as the old one had just gotten terribly run down. Also, sadly the Webster St. bridge is closed off. I too have alot of fun memories sledding there and around the lakes. When you mentioned the lakes, I remember one night Cynthia and I were spending the night with Merrell and we snuck out of the house with sleeping bags and laid down flat in Merrell's front yard. We were waiting for David D., Bobby B. and Weston to come over. It had been set up earlier that we'd meet and go walking around the neighborhood. While we were waiting somebody came up and rolled Neely Bennett's yard, right next door. Also, the guys never showed up!!!Nobody travels the Strip like in the good ole days. I really don't know where the kids go now. Mine aren't old enough yet for me to worry about it. I feel so old when I come up Shiloh Rd. on a Fri. or Sat. night in my minivan,loaded with groceries and kids!! My seven year old daughter cannot understand why in the world everyone drove up and down the road again and again. What great times!