Monday, January 29, 2007

Abbie Overton Mitchell

After graduating, I swore that I'd NEVER return to Corinth. I attended the University of South Carolina for my freshman year, had more fun than my parents thought I should, and returned to Corinth for college at NEMCC. I moved to Sarasota Florida in the spring of 1991 as a nanny for friends of the family. I had a blast raising 3 wonderful children. In August of 1991, I returned to Corinth and NEMCC changing my major once again.
On October 11, 1991, I went out on a blind date with Brad Mitchell...we were married December 28, 1991. 10 weeks from first date to wedding day. He's a wonderful guy from Kossuth. Some of you might know his sisters, Mikki, and Marla. And his dad was principal at KHS for 19 years.
Elizabeth Lane Mitchell graced us with her presence on January 18, 1995, and hasn't stopped since!! Elee (her nickname from Aunt Mikki) is a 5' 5", 12 year old 6th grader at KMS. She runs cross country with the high school track team, principal's list, plays flute in the band, piano, and shows cows. This past weekend (1-26-07) she won showmanship, champion Brangus bull, champion Hereford bull, and 3rd place Hereford heifer. We are off to Jackson, MS this weekend for Elee to show at Dixie Nationals. Elee is a beautiful child inside and out!!!
Jackson Blaine Mitchell was born on December 9, 1999. Blaine is quite a handful!! Just ask Katie Draper. We were blessed to have her as our Kindergarten teacher last year. Blaine isn't old enough to show cows at the national shows yet, but he has done well at local county fairs. He likes baseball, soccer, basketball, and really enjoyed hitting hard in football this past fall. We are truly lucky to have been given great kids.
There is never a dull moment around the farm. I know a lot of you can't picture me in the country, much less on a cattle farm. I think that I've adjusted fairly well; gonna have to because I'm planted here now.
My husband, Brad, and I just celebrated 15 years together...nobody bet that it would've lasted that long. Brad a 1987 MSU grad, is a district sales rep for NK Seeds (owned by Syngenta, who also owns Astra Zeneca) selling corn, soybean, and grain sorghum. His territory is from Jackson TN, to Clarksdale/Batesville MS. Brad enjoys the flexibility so that he can farm on the side. I work at Corinth Coke to support his farming habit. I'm working with one of our classmates, Chris Porterfield!! I am also involved in JA with Alesha and Kelly, teach the high school Sunday School and AWANA classes at Kossuth Baptist Church.
My parents move from Corinth in 1997 to Griffin GA. And then again, in 1998, to Carrollton GA, where my dad has retired from the newspaper business. He is now falling back on his true love, accounting, and is doing consulting work with a local CPA firm. They love the Atl area and don't plan on moving again!!
So, that's my past few years in a nutshell. I know I don't have the memories of elementary and junior high, but have enjoyed reading them!!!
Anytime y'all are in Kossuth, give me a call 662-665-1100!!!
Thanks Jake for getting us together.

No comments: