Thursday, February 1, 2007

Ashley Atkins update

Hello everyone! Has this been fun or what?

Okay, here is my update:

After graduating Ole Miss, I went to paralegal school in Atlanta. I never imagined I would stay - way too far from my family. After being in Atlanta for awhile, I decided I would try it "just for a little bit". I got a job with a law firm downtown, moved in with the ONE girl I knew in Atlanta and "just a little bit" turned into 12 years. I worked at the law firm for about 2 years until I just couldn't take the long hours anymore. I then went to work for what was then Andersen Consulting and worked there for 7 years.

Imet my husband, Robert, on a blind date 4 months after I moved here. He is actually a native of Atlanta which is rare these days. For those of you who know Miss Jackie well, she was not pleased that I would go out on a blind date with a guy "whose people we did not know." HAHA!! Robert travelled most of our dating relationship, but got an intown job after we were engaged. He is a network engineer for Cingular Wireless now (I guess now it is AT&T wireless)! He is the most wonderful guy and deserves a medal for putting up with me!! We dated for 6 years and got married in June 2001 in Memphis. After our first child, John Robert, was born on April 13, 2003, I did not return to work. Little Emily Grace was born July 9, 2005, and my life has not slowed down since! They are two wonderful children who make us laugh everyday (not to mention frustrated every now and then!)

Stephen Brooks and his wife live half a mile from us. Holly Brooks and I have girls' night every Wednesday night, which helps her to cope with living with Stephen! :) (Just kidding, Stephen!) My husband Robert is always amazed at how many people from Mississippi we run into. Our next door neighbor is from Shelby. We were on our honeymoon in St. Thomas and the manager of one of the restaurants was from Olive Branch. We met a couple from Kossuth and another from Tupelo the same trip. I always tell him we are taking over the world!

I don't make it to Corinth very often since my father passed away in 2000. It really is just too sad. I do go every now and then to visit my grandmother and Uncle Dick and Aunt Betty, but mostly we all meet in Oxford now. My sister George and brother Jack both live there now. My mom is in Memphis and my brother Neal and his family are in Olive Branch. It makes going to Ole Miss games quite convenient!!

On a more personal note, my Aunt Betty just had heart surgery, so if everyone could please say a prayer for her I would appreciate it! She has a long road ahead of her.

I am so glad that Jake is pulling us all together again. He always has been the best at keep in touch. I have so many wonderful memories of high school (girls' day at Pickwick, the Hill, friday night football games, riding back roads) I can't wait until our next reunion!!

Take care everyone!!

1 comment:

Jake said...

Ashley...great to see you on the blog! I hope your aunt is doing better after her surgery....