Saturday, February 3, 2007

I've got you covered...

How many of you remember the process of getting the yellow book covers each year and then folding and taping them around our books? At the beginning of each school year, our teachers would issue our books, and then they'd have a stack of the book covers usually sitting on the table next to the books. We'd each get a book cover and either take it home with us or do it right there on the spot. Not exactly an easy task, but well worth it simply because we now not only had our books "protected," but we also had a great doodle area. So no matter where we were - in class, on the bus, wherever - we could doodle, leave each other notes, and all that. It was also fun to see how long your cover could last. Sometimes they'd last the entire year...sometimes they'd only last a few weeks.

It just so happens that I, for whatever reasons, kept some of my covers. I found a few that I had in the 6th grade...in Mr. Calvery's room. Take a look at this one, in particular:



Take the front shot, for example. Here you'll see that this was the cover for my Spelling book in Mr. Calvery's class. I had fun trying to figure out a cool way to write "Jake" and combine the letters into one weird looking letter (to the left of the warrior head). You'll also see where Jennifer Pace left me a little note: Jennifer -wuz- here. Hilarious! And lastly, you'll see where I once had written "Jake + Ashley" but I had scratched out her name. Why? You'll see when you look at the back cover...

On the back cover, I profess my love (or like) for Kristen Lorentz. You can also see where I tried to start writing it on the left hand side, but I guess I quickly realized I'd run out of room. I even figured out a cool way to incorporate the "S" logo for Security Bank into KriSten's name. I had a crush on Kristen for so many years....sorry Ashley and Melinda....but that's just how it was.

Anyway, I hope this brought back some fun memories...and there's more to come, so don't worry!!!

3 comments:

Ashley Atkins Pirkle said...

Oh, Jake! You just made me laugh out loud! I guess Melinda and I will just have to deal with the fact that we weren't woman enough for you!

Angel Wilburn said...

I thought that my baby brother was the only man in this world that had held on to everything that he'd ever accumulated during his high school and college days! I was WRONG :)

Stephanie Knight said...

Jake, What about Stacey Carson? Don't you remember her first day in Mr. Calvary's room? Mr. Calvary takes me out in the hall and tells me to show around the new girl. Who is wearing the absolute coolest purple metallic Members Only jacket anyone has ever seen. Needless to say, she was instantly popular. My day of showing her around was interrupted continuously by boys, including you, asking her to "go with them". ON HER FIRST DAY!