Sunday, February 18, 2007

Brett's Update

After graduating from CHS, I did something very Hyper-masculine and went to Mississippi College on a Cheerleading Scholarship. (I don't really remember what my thought process was on this but WOW!!!) I met some really cool people, fell madly in love for the first time, experienced our football team winning a National Championship, experienced our cheerleading squad winning a National Championship, and made a bunch of B's. (My Navy Blue Polyester Coaching Shorts I wore during the championship performance went for $37,600 on Ebay)
Unfortunately, I also experienced real heartache for the first time, as I was informed that my Father had been diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer and would not live to see 50.

As a result of this, I transferred to Ole Miss to be closer to home and have fewer obligations. Big Neal died a few months into my Sophomore year. I went on to graduate with a degree in Biology, and was not too offended when they pre-cursed my announcement with: "And last but not least...Brett Neal Butler!!!" Needless to say, I didn't go to Medical School as I had kinda always planned on.

A week after my graduation, I moved to Orlando, FL and began a bizarre yet stimulating career as a wanderlusting job-hopper. I landed a gig with Harcourt Brace Jovanovic Book Publishers in their Science Department as a Grammer Text Experiment Editor. Do you remember in the 4th grade when you read a chapter on electricity and then would do an experiment at the end using a balloon and your hair? I was the guy who got paid to write those and authenticate their accuracy. It sounds sexy, but it paid less than $10 per hour and carried no medical benefits. (good thing Mickey's Malt Liquor was about $3 a six pack back then)

I then moved to Memphis, Tn and was self-employed for a year. Then to Baton Rouge, LA, where I went to work for the Norwest Corporation (Wells Fargo). While in Louisiana I met my ex-wife, Tiffany, and got married in 1997. I stayed with Wells Fargo for several years and managed offices in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee. I left Wells Fargo, and took a job as a District Sales Manager for Arch Paging in New Orleans and was later promoted and moved to Salt Lake City, Utah. While in Utah, I decided to get into Pharmaceutical Sales and landed a job with Astra Pharmaceuticals(now AstraZeneca). We later moved to Boise, Idaho with AstraZeneca, and 1 year later, James Neal (Jay) Butler was born. I stayed in Pharmaceuticals for about 3 years, and ultimately took a District Manager Position in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. One year later, I got a divorce, and my ex-wife and I both decided to move back to the south. I moved back to Corinth and took a VP job at AmSouth Bank and later met my current wife, Devin. We got married in 2005, moved to Brandon, MS, and I went back to work for Wells Fargo as a Sales Manager in the Mortgage Division. Jackson sucked real bad, so the first chance we got to move back to Corinth, we jumped all over it. I am still doing mortgages but am a Sales Manager for a much smaller regional outfit called Mortgage Investors Group. I could not be happier!!!!!!! It is like working for a family, but with all the advantages of a large corporation. If they will have me long-term, I will retire with these guys in good 'ole Corinth and maybe have a place on the lake. :-)

Devin and I do not have any kids yet, but we plan on adding to our family whenever the Lord is ready.

Brett

1 comment:

Jake said...

I didn't realize that Norwest was acquired by Wells Fargo! Do you remember when I made that video tape for you when you were in Orlando? I was almost engaged to that girl from Alabama, and we were in Corinth for Christmas. I took her by your house, but you weren't in Corinth that year. Anyway, we drove around Corinth and I think we even went to Taylor's house later that night, and we made a video tape for you. Do you still have that thing??? This would have been Christmas of 1993....